Medizinische Universit├Ąt Graz - Research portal

Logo MUG Resarch Portal

Selected Publication:

SHR Neuro Cancer Cardio Lipid

Kiss, CG; Richter-Mueksch, S; Stifter, E; Diendorfer-Radner, G; Velikay-Parel, M; Radner, W.
Informed consent and decision making by cataract patients.
Arch Ophthalmol. 2004; 122(1):94-98 [OPEN ACCESS]
Web of Science PubMed FullText FullText_MUG


Authors Med Uni Graz:
Velikay-Parel Michaela

Dimensions Citations:

Plum Analytics:
OBJECTIVES: To investigate decision making by patients on the day before cataract surgery and to evaluate to what extent the informed consent process influences the patients' decision regarding consent. METHODS: On the day before surgery, 70 patients (mean +/- SD age, 70.3 +/- 10.3 years) underwent a standardized informed consent procedure. They were also invited to answer 15 questions established in interdisciplinary cooperation among clinical psychologists, lawyers, and ophthalmologists. MAIN OUTCOME MEASURES: We assessed presurgical information and personal estimation of risks in cataract surgery; the patient-physician relationship regarding surgery-related decisions; and evaluations of the informed consent procedure and the patients' decision. RESULTS: Questionnaire answers indicated that 28 (40%) of the 70 participating patients arrived for surgery without any information; 16 (23%) believed that there were surgical procedures without risks; and 53 (76%) estimated that there were no risks for their cataract surgery. A physician-dominated decision for surgery was preferred by 31 patients (44%); 16 (26%) wanted to decide together with their ophthalmologist. Possible risks of a sight-threatening complication did not influence 54 patients' (77%) decisions, and 55 patients (78%) said the informed consent process did not influence their decision. The remaining 15 (22%) stated that the informed consent process positively confirmed their decision. CONCLUSIONS: Informed consent 1 day preoperatively does not seem to influence the decision for cataract surgery. Cognitive dissonance as part of a decision-making process makes changes in an already chosen option unlikely. The resulting limited decisive potential is very important for credibility in a trial and has to be considered in ophthalmologic surgery.
Find related publications in this database (using NLM MeSH Indexing)
Aged -
Cataract - psychology
Cataract Extraction - psychology
Decision Making - psychology
Health Knowledge, Attitudes, Practice - psychology
Humans - psychology
Informed Consent - psychology
Patient Education - psychology
Patient Participation - psychology
Physician-Patient Relations - psychology
Questionnaires - psychology

© Meduni GrazImprint