Medizinische Universität Graz Austria/Österreich - Forschungsportal - Medical University of Graz

Logo MUG-Forschungsportal

Gewählte Publikation:

SHR Neuro Krebs Kardio Lipid Stoffw Microb

Gusic, N; Fedel, I; Darabos, N; Lovric, Z; Bukvic, N; Bakota, B; Lemac, D.
Operative treatment of intraarticular calcaneal fractures: Anatomical and functional outcome of three different operative techniques.
Injury. 2015; 46 Suppl 6:S130-S133 Doi: 10.1016/j.injury.2015.10.061
Web of Science PubMed FullText FullText_MUG


Co-Autor*innen der Med Uni Graz
Bakota Bore

Dimensions Citations:

Plum Analytics:

Scite (citation analytics):

Management of the intraarticular calcaneal fracture is a challenge. The optimal method of treatment remains controversial. This study evaluates the anatomical and functional postoperative outcomes of displaced intraarticular calcaneal fractures that have been treated using three different techniques of ORIF. Between 2004 and 2011 we treated 143 patients with calcaneal fractures, 40 of these patients (28%) were treated conservatively. This is a retrospective study of the remaining 103 patients (72%) who were operated on consecutively, mainly by one surgeon (NG). Calcaneal fractures were classified according to the Sanders classification. Three types of osteosynthesis were used: standard anatomical plate (SP), locking anatomical plate (LCP) and standard anatomical plate with autologous bone graft (SP+ABG). Clinical outcome was assessed one year after the operation: anatomical reduction was evaluated according to the analysis of Bohler's angle at final follow-up, and functional assessment was conducted using the Maryland Foot Score (MFS). The fractures were classified as follows: 35 (34%) Sanders type II, 47 (45.6%) Sanders type III and 21 (20.4%) Sanders type IV. The SP was used in 67 (65%) fractures, LCP in 16 (15.5%) and SP+ABH in 20 (19.4%). The correlation test showed a weak association between the Sanders fracture type and the operation technique (Pearson correlation coefficient r=0.26). The non-parametric tests showed that the fracture type did not significantly influence the postoperative Bohler's angle outcome (p=0.132), or the type of operation (p=0.664). Excellent or good reduction of the posterior calcaneal facet was achieved in all operated fractures. One year after the operation, the distribution of Bohler's angle was normal with a mean 31.9° (SD 4.84) in all three groups. There was no significant difference in the functional postoperative outcome in terms of MFS in the three groups (p=0.601), but the Sanders fracture type had significant influence on the functional postoperative outcome in terms of MFS (p=0.001). In the representative sample of 103 operatively treated intraarticular calcaneal fractures, anatomical and functional postoperative efficacy outcomes appeared to be similar in all three treatment groups. High-grade displaced intraarticular calcaneal fractures (Sanders IV) had worse functional results irrespective of the type of operation. The optimal method for management of intraarticular calcaneal fracture is operative, using the standard anatomic calcaneal plate. Autologous bone grafting is not required. Large sample comparative studies are still needed. Copyright © 2015 Elsevier Ltd. All rights reserved.
Find related publications in this database (using NLM MeSH Indexing)
Adult -
Bone Plates -
Bone Transplantation - methods
Calcaneus - diagnostic imaging
Calcaneus - injuries
Calcaneus - pathology
Calcaneus - physiopathology
Calcaneus - surgery
Female -
Follow-Up Studies -
Fracture Fixation, Internal - methods
Fractures, Bone - diagnostic imaging
Fractures, Bone - pathology
Fractures, Bone - physiopathology
Fractures, Bone - surgery
Humans -
Intra-Articular Fractures - diagnostic imaging
Intra-Articular Fractures - pathology
Intra-Articular Fractures - physiopathology
Intra-Articular Fractures - surgery
Male -
Middle Aged -
Retrospective Studies -
Transplantation, Autologous -
Treatment Outcome -
Weight-Bearing -

Find related publications in this database (Keywords)
Calcaneal fracture
Operative treatment
Bone graft
Functional outcome
© Med Uni Graz Impressum